Friday, October 13, 2017

The Show Must Go On

"The Show Must Go On"
(The Big O)
 
Another long-shelved project completed! I first fully saw The Big O late last year, and I loved it, from its visual aesthetic (at least in the first season), to its form of storytelling, to its giant robots. Big O has a lot to like, though it also has a lot to throw off casual viewers. Either way, to me, the pros far outweigh the cons, and it earned a spot among my favorite anime.

I mentioned on the previous one that I did was to reference for this. Despite how it looks, this image is NOT digitally inverted. It was colored relatively side-by-side to the OFFSET version, using it as a reference to how the shading lied naturally, and used another screencap for color reference to color this one, because in series, Big Venus appears inverted like this. The line work was done with a white gel pen, especially to clean up areas where the markers bled into the negative space. This may be my most ambitious piece yet, and it definitely paid off!

October 13, 2017
Micron pens, Prismacolor Markers, colored pencils, and gel pens
on 8.5x11 cardstock