Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Seeking Dreams Through the Window of Stars


"Seeking Dreams Through the Window of Stars'"
(Super Mario RPG)
 
Have you ever lay your head down on a pillow and suddenly, like a brick through glass, an idea hits you that you just have to do something with? I do a lot of illustrations, but none ever hit me so vividly like this one had. Super Mario RPG for the SNES was my gateway to the realm of turn-based JRPGs, and yet it's a game I tend to give so little credit. Sure, its simple in design and gameplay (to a point, anyway), but it has a lot of charm, and continues to be a well talked about staple in both Nintendo and Square's glory days.
I tried my best to give this a good Square-game feel, with the layout, colors, and style in the lineart. Rather than stick with the squat proportions of the in-game sprites, I went with designs more modern to Mario, Bowser, and Peach (Really wish I could change her name in SMRPG...). Didn't really do much with Mallow or Geno, since they're designed around the SMRPG style, but they still work well with the setup.Doing all the shades of blue and purple, as well as the glow from Mario's fire orb required a lot of attention to keep consistent.

July 20, 2016
Micron pens, Sakura Pigma pens, normal pens, Prismacolor Markers, colored pencils, and gel pens
on 8.5x11" cardstock