Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Variables


"Variables"
(Ultimate Armor X and Black Zero from Mega Man X4)


As stated previously, I love Mega Man X, and while I played each game as they came out, the first I ever beat was Mega Man X4 for the PS1. The rich graphics, immersive soundtrack, and nice anime cutscenes greatly enhanced what it was like to play a video game. The other aspect I loved were the hidden armors for X and Zero that could only be obtained by a code. And while Zero's was nothing more than an aesthetically pleasing palette swap, X's Ultimate Armor was like switching the game to ultra easy mode, but still made it fun to play!


Aside from keeping both characters poses relatively unaltered, the biggest challenge on this picture was replicating the clear effect on X's armor. Digital manipulation would normally be the workaround for something like this, but with my markers, I don't have that liberty. And while I think I could have done better in some spots, I am still quite pleased with this one's turnout.
 
April 14, 2015
Micron pens, Sakura Pigma pens, Prismacolor Markers, colored pencils, and gel pens,
on 8.5x11" cardstock.