Monday, April 20, 2015

Fly, Gundam!




"Fly, Gundam!"
(RX-78-2 Gundam from
Mobile Suit Gundam)
 
I'd wanted to do just a picture of the granddaddy Gundam for some time now, and figured I'd do something with a bit of classic space scenery. I'm trying to get used to doing backgrounds since a lot of my commissions have requested them. Also, White Base. 

I penned this pic some time last year, but finally decided to color it. I had the intention of making this an 11x17" piece, but I noticed that 90% of my unfinished work is that size, so I figure that's likely my problem. (lol)
I didn't expect this picture to have the level of shading I put into it, but ended up evolving almost unconsciously. The exploding mobile suit orbs were fun to do, since I wanted to make them look more than just orange glow-orbs, like they appear in most of the 90's works. A nice little test piece that brings a good homage to the father of real mecha, I think.

 
April 20, 2015
Micron pens, Sakura Pigma pens, Prismacolor Markers, colored pencils, and gel pens
on 8.5x11" cardstock.