Friday, May 1, 2015

Cat•Nin•Den


"Cat•Nin•Den"
(Polly Esther, Speedy Cerviche, and Guido Anchovy from
Samurai Pizza Cats /
Pururun, Yattaro, and Sukashee from Kyatto•Ninden Teyandee)
 
This is a LONG over due piece, in my own opinion, as this was probably the first anime I had ever seen knowing it was from Japan but still ignorant of the term "anime." Samurai Pizza Cats (as it's known most of the world over) was my gateway to anime, as its airing soon met with the early syndicated Dragon Ball Z, and netting me into the broad realm of Japanimation. And despite its loose (if at all existent) translation, silly plots, and non-stop pop-culture references (all of which are quite dated, now) made this show such an enjoyment to catch!
Pizza Cats is one of those that has a strong enough following in most of the western world, but little in the ways of fan art. Especially faithful fan art. And while I've seen LOTS of amazing liberal interpretations of the crew, I felt it necessary to pay the proper homage to the Nyankee group.

If you grew up with this show, you know why it's a classic. To those that have not, I suggest picking up the box set recently released by Discotek Media. And to those who feign uninterest...
"TEYANDEE!?!"


May 1, 2015
Sakura Pigma pens, Prismacolor Markers, colored pencils, and gel pens
on 8.5x11" cardstock.