Friday, May 8, 2015

Tenkaichi


"Tenkaichi"
(Son Goku from
Dragon Ball / Dragon Ball Z)
 
As mentioned before, Dragon ball Z was, like many others, my true entry into anime, being the first serial show I had watched that was largely serious (at the time) and had quality animation. While I wouldn't find out for a while that it started as a parody/gag manga, Dragon Ball still is among legend here in the West, with people here still holding in high regard today, even with newer series like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece taking similar reigns.

I used to draw DB stuff so much when I was younger that I never really required references for Akira Toriyama's style. However, 14 years is a long time, and I actually found myself looking through his artbooks and manga to make sure everything looked true to his vision. Although some parts looks more like Tadayoshi Yamamuro's versions... ^_^;;

I had a few concepts in mind for this before going with what you see now. I had efforts to worm in The two newest iterations of Goku from Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'. However found it too busy for what I wanted as just a simple homage to the mighty Super Saiyan, so I decided to just stick with what was faithful to the manga. I think it gives the visual palette some nice contrast, so I'm overall pleased with this one!

May 8, 2015
Micron pens, Sakura Pigma pens, Prismacolor Markers, and gel pens
on 8.5x11" cardstock.